Wednesday 28 August 2013

Sari Dress

Recently I popped into an op-shop and picked up the most gorgeous chiffon fabric. Five metres for $5!! It really reminds me of Indian saris.

I wanted to create a dress that captured the floaty feel that you get from a sari. This is what I came up with.

A fully lined relatively fitted bodice with a zippered back and a gathered ankle length skirt which is also lined. The sleeves on the lining are normal cap sleeves, the chiffon sleeves are too, except for the under arm seams, which instead of being sewn together are just hemmed separately so they are loose.


Two side ties pull it together at the back so it is slightly more gathered at the back. For interest I made the back neck line plunge in a V to the zip.


It's lined with a 4 way stretch jersey in orange to lift the vibrancy of the reds and yellows. The lining skirt is hemmed about 2 inches shorter than the chiffon skirt [which I still need to hem...I'm so lazy!].


I'm so happy with how it turned out, and I think I only used just over a metre of the fabric, so I can make more pretty clothes out of the remainder!

No comments:

Post a Comment